For divorced or separated parents, one parent’s desire to relocate to another state or country—or even somewhere else in Florida—can have a significant impact on both parents’ child custody and time-sharing rights. In some cases, receiving permission to move can be very challenging, as courts almost always try to avoid disrupting a child’s living situation. At Karmeris Family Law, we have experience representing parents who wish to relocate, as well as parents seeking to stop their ex-partner from moving with their child.

Domestic Relocation

Florida’s parental relocation statute significantly restricts the right of a parent to move away from the parent with whom the child spends less time. The law defines relocation as moving 50 miles or more from the residence of the other parent, even within the State of Florida. The parent who wants to move must file and serve a written notice upon the other parent, which includes the following information:

  • A description of the neighborhood and area
  • The address and phone number of the intended new residence
  • The date of the intended move or proposed relocation
  • The reasons for relocation (if one reason is based upon a written job offer, the offer must be attached)
  • A proposed time-sharing schedule and transportation arrangements

Proving that relocation should be granted is often difficult, especially if the other parent has been active in his or her child’s life. However, receiving permission to move is more likely if an agreeable substitute parenting plan, including contribution toward transportation costs of the other parent, is provided.

International Relocation

Parents who want to relocate internationally generally come under more scrutiny from courts than parents making domestic moves, as judges take into account reasons for the move, distance, and conditions in the destination country. International laws regarding child custody must also be considered when one parent wants to move to another country with a child, either after divorce or at the time of separation.

For example, the Hague Convention, which governs nearly all European countries, provides for immediate return of children who are taken from their country of habitual residence in violation of custody rights. The Hague Convention also ensures that relocation and custody questions are decided in the state or country where the child has been living.

Karmeris Family Law helps mothers and fathers enforce their time-sharing rights across national and international borders. We understand the nuances involved in enforcing custody rights in Florida, the United States and around the world.

Client Reviews

Excellent attorney! Very knowledgeable, aggressive and professional but compassionate at the same time. Highly recommend!

Gus Saridis

Heather K. has been a huge pleasure to work with. From the moment I first spoke to her, I knew that she was passionate about what she does and would do her best to help navigate me throughout my process and with my concerns. I am both...

Tatianna Gonzales

Heather - thank you for representing my brother in his divorce. Your professionalism and expert advice were greatly appreciated. It was really great how you were able to be a strong advocate for my brother while being sensitive and...

Michelle Johnson

She is the best, very responsible, a hustle woman she’s always there for you. I recommend her big time she fight my Case like I was one of her family members she get to the trial so prepare when you hire her you feel like you have an...

Hector Cachimbo

Heather is very responsive and much more reasonably priced than other divorce attorneys in South Florida. She makes sure to give her clients individual attention, and is very well versed in the law. I highly recommend her!

Alexa Battisti

Contact Us

Photo of Heather S. Karmeris

Call Now (561) 510-6043